Foundations of Listening and Spoken Language Practice
This course is offered through our eLearning platform for self-paced learning. Face-to-face course delivery is available for groups upon request.
Date: Start any time via eLearning platform
Cost: AUD $1,890
AG Bell Academy CEUs approved:
Total Learning Hours/CEUs: 36
Academy CEU Code: CE-HSC-20-004
If you have any questions about this course, please email firstname.lastname@example.org
Students completing this course will gain foundational knowledge and skills required by professionals following the Listening and Spoken Language approach with children who are deaf or hard of hearing. The course consists of 24 lectures. After completion of each lecture, the student will submit a small number of tasks pertaining to the lecture content. Once each set of tasks is submitted, the student will gain access to a video tutorial discussing the lecture material and task submissions.
The eLearning course is self-paced, but it is recommended that students complete the course lectures within 12 weeks (two lectures per week). An additional two weeks is then allowed for final assessment, followed by the exam.
Course content includes the following:
- History and Philosophy of Listening and Spoken Language Practice, using the auditory-verbal approach
- Principles of Certified Listening and Spoken Language Specialists
- Brain development for Listening and Speaking
- A Model of Listening and Spoken Language Practice
- Auditory Function
- Ling Sounds
- Learning to Listen Sounds
- Typical Development of Language, Speech and Cognition
- Speech Teaching (children who are deaf or hard of hearing)
- Auditory Hierarchy
- Strategies and Techniques – Listening and Spoken Language
- Evidence base for Listening and Spoken Language Practice
- Introduction to Audiology, including
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Paediatric Hearing Assessment
- Current Hearing Technologies
- Candidacy Assessments for a range of implantable hearing devices
- Written Assessment and Exam
Foundations of Listening and Spoken Language Practice is suited to allied health and education professionals including speech pathologists, teachers of the deaf, audiologists, mainstream teachers and teacher-aides, undergraduate and post-graduate students and parents of children who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Certification: Completion of Foundations of Listening and Spoken Language Practice can be used by eligible candidates when applying for the AG Bell Academy Certification for LSLS Cert. AVT TM or LSLS Cert. AVEd TM.
No pre-requisite qualifications are required, although some background knowledge in audiology, speech pathology or teaching is beneficial.