Helping children to reach their full potential.

From School to the Soccer Field

Growing up in the beautiful surrounds of a Sunshine Coast dairy farm, a typical day for 12-year-old, Rescue includes waking early to help feed the animals, going to school, playing sport and spending time with siblings, Rascal, Cheeky and Ruckus.

The sounds of Rescue’s day-to-day life – mates in the schoolyard, the thud of a soccer ball kicked, cows bellowing on the family farm – became much clearer last December, on a special morning at Hear and Say.

It was less than two weeks before Christmas that Rescue had his cochlear implant first switched onto sound – a gift that truly keeps on giving.

After an accident in 2014 left Rescue with hearing loss in his left ear, and following several years using a hearing aid with mixed results, Rescue’s family excitedly gathered at Hear and Say to watch the special moment his cochlear implant was turned on. It was the first time Rescue had heard his parents’ voices clearly through his left ear in years.

Rescue said that although it had felt “a bit weird” to have his cochlear implant switched onto sound for the first time, he felt very happy. He had also noticed an improvement in his hearing while out on the farm, in his Year Seven classroom and when playing his beloved soccer.

“I started working with Rescue soon after his cochlear implant had been switched on, and our sessions focussed on supporting Rescue to hear differences between sounds and words, and developing his ability to understand conversations,” said Hear and Say Listening and Spoken Language Specialist, Roxanne Innes.

“Rescue has worked hard at learning to trust what he was hearing through his new processor, and his mum, Sally and I both rejoiced earlier this year when Rescue seamlessly answered questions and successfully held a conversation listening with his left ear alone.”


Maia’s Story

At 9.10pm on 24 October 2013 our beautiful daughter Maia was born. 

The moment of elation was short-lived as we immediately noticed her left ear was missing. I frantically looked to the medical team around me for answers but received none.

Panic set in as we waited 4 days in hospital for an ENT to explain her condition, by which point we already had all the answers from Simone, who runs the Microtia and Atresia Program at Hear and Say.

Read More


We'd love to hear from you!

Please feel free to call us on (07) 3850 2111 or visit the Contact Us page for more details.

Contact Us