It’s the little things that we do every day that count towards growing our baby’s brain, promoting development for listening and speaking. It really is as simple as spending time together throughout the day, talking, playing, singing and reading.
Here are some top brain-growing tips from the Hear and Say Listening and Spoken Language team:
- Get chatting: talk to your child frequently in meaningful ways. Don’t forget to use lots of repetition.
- Keep it interesting: Talk about topics that interest your child. Talk firstly about what your child is doing, secondly about what you are doing and what is going on around you.
- Expand on what your child is saying: Repeat what they said and give them the full version of the words they want to say, using sounds correctly and adding new information.
- Ask lots of questions: make your child think and remember more. If they struggle answering your question, repeat it again, simplifying it and using different words.
- Have fun! Sing, dance and play. Use plenty of variety in your daily play.
- Keep the brain happy: Make sure your child is getting enough sleep and healthy food.
“Often I find I have to do something clever to get my child’s attention and its always more effective if it’s completely ridiculous!” – Hear and Say parent