Helping children to reach their full potential.

Hear and Now: Meet Chloe

It’s the summertime scent of blooming backyard frangipani trees that had 28-year-old, Chloe reminiscent of her childhood visits to Hear and Say.

“It was when the Brisbane centre was in Auchenflower, and I used to collect frangpianis on my way to my appointment with my mum or dad to give to one of the audiologists as a nice surprise,” Chloe recalled.

These days Chloe’s ongoing appointments at Hear and Say may not be quite so floral, but Chloe said it was those early years that had left a lasting impression on so many areas of her life.

“I have loved meeting the different members of the Hear and Say team who have supported me with my cochlear implant journey, and many of those I feel are connections I’ve now made for life,” said Chloe.

Now living on Brisbane’s southside with her partner, Jared, Chloe works full time as an estimating assistant for a family-run electrical company and spends her free time reading, watching TV and playing a weekly game of social mixed futsal.

Chloe received her first cochlear implant in her right ear at seven years old, and later went on to have her other side implanted. She continues to visit Hear and Say for six-monthly audiology appointments, and a yearly assessment to confirm her cochlear implants are working optimally.

“Getting my second cochlear implant switched on three years ago was one of the best days of my life, and has helped give me access to sound that my hearing aid wasn’t providing – I am so happy I made that decision,” said Chloe.

“I am deeply appreciative of what Hear and Say has helped me to achieve over the years, and supported me to overcome adversity and learn to become more independent.

Sound is very important to me because it’s something a lot of people take for granted in day-to-day life. I don’t think I would be the person I am today if I wasn’t able to hear, listen and speak.”


Maia’s Story

At 9.10pm on 24 October 2013 our beautiful daughter Maia was born. 

The moment of elation was short-lived as we immediately noticed her left ear was missing. I frantically looked to the medical team around me for answers but received none.

Panic set in as we waited 4 days in hospital for an ENT to explain her condition, by which point we already had all the answers from Simone, who runs the Microtia and Atresia Program at Hear and Say.

Read More


We'd love to hear from you!

Please feel free to call us on (07) 3850 2111 or visit the Contact Us page for more details.

Contact Us