Hear to Live
Hear to Live is a Group Social Skills program designed for young adults with hearing loss aged 16 years and older. This age can be challenging for anyone but for those with a hearing loss it comes with additional hurdles. Hear to Live aims to build resilience and self-advocacy skills and provides the opportunity to meet others in a similar situation.
Hear to Live has a strong emphasis on the specific self-advocacy skills that are crucial to post-school success for young people who have hearing loss. These skills include:
- Understanding hearing loss, and strategies to address their communication challenges
- The best use and maintenance of hearing aids, cochlear implants, and other listening devices
- Awareness of what the appropriate supports are for someone with a hearing loss in the workplace and tertiary education
- The ability to identify and access technological and support
- Understanding your own legal rights in tertiary education and the workplace
- Knowing when and how to request help
- Knowing how and deciding when to disclose a hearing loss
Hear and Say is a registered NDIS provider. If you do have NDIS, you may be able to pay for workshops through you plan. Please note that the price of the Hear to Live three-day workshop is determined by the number of participants. Once the final number of participants is confirmed Hear and Say can determine the cost per participant. Find out more here.
We appreciate that NDIS prices are subject to change, and recognise the price listed in your Service Agreement may not reflect the updated price listed on our website.
New Workshop Series – Navigating Life After School
In 2021, we will be hosting interactive information sessions, covering a range of topics for those transitioning into tertiary education, employment and moving towards increased independence. Topics include:
- Tuesday, 9 February 2021 – Overcoming Challenges and Finding Your Direction
- Tuesday, 9 March 2021- Financial Freedom: Budgeting for your future and how to make the most of your NDIS plan
- Tuesday, 13 April 2021 – Working together to improve transitions for people living with disability into further education and employment, presented by Theresa Madson, National Disability Coordination Officer, Southeast Qld
- Tuesday, 11 May 2021 – Mentor panel with five young adults share their experiences transitioning to life after school
- Tuesday, 13 July 2021 – Establishing and Achieving Your Career Goals
- Tuesday, 10 August 2021 – How to maximise your university experience, presented by Cathy Easte, Student Disability and Accessibility Manager, Griffith University
- Tuesday, 14 September 2021 – Mentor panel with five young adults share their experiences transitioning to life after school – Postponed
- Tuesday, 12 October 2021 – Topic TBC
- Tuesday, 9 November 2021 – Game Night – Participants will gather for an evening of networking, socialisation, and team challenges with prizes to be won and fun to be had by all
When: The second Tuesday of every month
Time: 5.00pm – 6.30pm
Location: Live webinar via Zoom.
Cost: $30 per session. Hear and Say is a registered NDIS provider and you may be eligible for reimbursement of this program through your plan. Please contact our NDIS team for more information via NDIS@hearandsay.com.au.
Enquiries: Please email Paula Johnson at firstname.lastname@example.org