Foundations of the Auditory-Verbal Approach
This course is offered through our eLearning platform for self-paced learning. Face-to-face course delivery is available for groups upon request.
Date: Start any time via eLearning platform
Cost: AUD $750
If you have any questions about this course, please email email@example.com
Students completing this course will gain foundational knowledge and skills required by professionals following the Auditory-Verbal approach. The course consists of 24 lectures, after each of which the student will submit a small number of tasks pertaining to the lecture content. Once each set of tasks is submitted, the student will gain access to a video tutorial discussing the lecture material and task submissions.
The eLearning course is self-paced, but it is recommended that students complete the course lectures within 12 weeks (two lectures per week). An additional two weeks is then allowed for final assessment, followed by the exam.
Course content includes the following:
- History, Philosophy, Principles and Ethics of the Auditory-Verbal approach
- Brain development for Listening and Speaking
- Model of Auditory-Verbal Practice
- Auditory Function
- Ling Sounds
- Learning to Listen Sounds
- Normal development of Language, Speech and Cognition
- Speech Teaching (children with hearing loss)
- Auditory Hierarchy
- Auditory-Verbal Techniques
- Evidence base for Auditory-Verbal Practice
- Introduction to Audiology, including
- Anatomy and Physiology
- Paediatric Hearing Assessment
- Current Hearing Technologies
- Candidacy Assessments for a range of implantable hearing devices
- Written Assessment and Exam
Foundations of the Auditory-Verbal Approach is suited to allied health and education professionals including speech pathologists, teachers of the deaf, audiologists, mainstream teachers and teacher-aides, undergraduate and post-graduate students and parents of children with hearing loss.
Certification: Completion of Foundations of the Auditory-Verbal Approach can be used by eligible candidates when applying for the AG Bell Academy Certification for LSLS Cert. AVT TM or LSLS Cert. AVEd TM
No pre-requisite qualifications are required, although some background knowledge in audiology, speech pathology or teaching is beneficial.
At 9.10pm on 24 October 2013 our beautiful daughter Maia was born.
The moment of elation was short-lived as we immediately noticed her left ear was missing. I frantically looked to the medical team around me for answers but received none.
Panic set in as we waited 4 days in hospital for an ENT to explain her condition, by which point we already had all the answers from Simone, who runs the Microtia and Atresia Program at Hear and Say.