Helping children to reach their full potential.

Koby’s Story

Arriving home with a newborn baby is an exciting and special time, as you begin to settle into the routine of your new family life.

But for Alison and Daniel, these moments of joy were cut short, when at just three months of age, their baby boy, Koby, contracted bacterial meningitis.

“We nearly lost our baby boy when he was 14 weeks old but we were lucky and he was a fighter.

 After we brought him home from the hospital, we thought that would be the end of any bad news,” said Alison.

But, ten months into Koby’s recovery, doctors performed follow up tests and found Koby had severe hearing loss in both ears.

“The results from this test shocked us, overwhelmed us, and sent us into a state of denial that he could possibly have such an extreme hearing loss.

Days after Koby’s diagnosis we were inundated with calls and received an enormous amount of brochures, but we immediately felt drawn to Hear and Say.

After speaking with Roxanne at the Hear and Say Sunshine Coast Centre, we knew without a doubt that this was the future we wanted for Koby,” said Alison.

In 2016, at fifteen months of age, Koby took his first steps on his journey towards a listening and speaking future, and in May of 2017 was ‘switched on’ to sound.

Eight months on, Koby plays and explores like any inquisitive toddler. He understands twice as many words as he did six months ago and is now joining two words together!

Alison says;  “8 months post implant, the changes we are seeing in Koby’s language and comprehension are so reassuring.  In a scary new world of the unknown Hear and Say guided us through every step with knowledge, experience and support, making a challenging and confronting time for our family much more manageable. Hear and Say have been our angels.”

If you would like to give the gift of sound to more children, just like Koby, please donate today.


Maia’s Story

At 9.10pm on 24 October 2013 our beautiful daughter Maia was born. 

The moment of elation was short-lived as we immediately noticed her left ear was missing. I frantically looked to the medical team around me for answers but received none.

Panic set in as we waited 4 days in hospital for an ENT to explain her condition, by which point we already had all the answers from Simone, who runs the Microtia and Atresia Program at Hear and Say.

Read More


We'd love to hear from you!

Please feel free to call us on (07) 3850 2111 or visit the Contact Us page for more details.

Contact Us