Our Telepractice Program allows Hear and Say to assist children with hearing loss and their families who live in rural and remote areas of Queensland and beyond.
The following range of services are provided through the Telepractice Program by one of our Listening and Spoken Language Specialists (LSLS):
- Bi-weekly video conference link-ups with the child and parent, with lessons planned with the parent on alternate weeks.
- Bi-annual visits to the family home by the family’s LSL therapist, to work with the child and family and to assist with any specific areas of concerns.
- Educational setting visits for observation of the child and support of professionals in the child’s child-care, kindergarten, or school.
- Individual Education Plan (IEP) provided twice a year after detailed discussion with the parents.
- Speech and language assessments administered twice a year, with a report provided following each assessment.
Telepractice Intensive Camps
Each year, Hear and Say holds an intensive program for rural and remote families on site at the Brisbane and Townsville Centres. The Intensive provides face-to-face speech and language assessment and lessons as well the opportunity for audiology consultations.
Children with hearing loss and their siblings are able to play with other children at the LEAP playgroup program during these visits and social skills activities are provided for specific age-groups. Parents have the opportunity to meet with each other and attend parent education sessions.
Where possible, Hear and Say assists families to schedule travel, accommodation and additional relevant appointments during the Intensive Camps.